We’ve shown you how to make a muffin in a microwave, and now we want to show you how you don’t need an oven to bake a cake. Chef Vance recently made a spice cake on our Jenn-Air 30″ Induction Cooktop. Although the total bake time is longer than in the oven, it’s nice to know you have the choice. When you bake on an induction cooktop, you have multiple settings to choose from, like Simmer, Melt and numbered levels. The instructions below are based on the Jenn-Air settings. Refer to your user manual for equivalent settings.
- Prepare a box of spice cake mix and follow the directions for mixing the batter;
- Use a 9-inch circular pot, with lid, that is about 2 inches deep. Lightly grease and flour the inside;
- Using the various settings (as seen below in red), follow the below timing for the cake:
- 15 min on the Simmer setting, uncovered;
- 25 min, covered, with the cook temp at number 2, and then wipe condensation off the lid;
- 25 min, covered, at same cook temp setting and then wipe the lid of the condensation;
- 5 min, covered, on setting 2;
- 20 min, covered, on cook setting 3, and then wipe condensation off lid;
- 10 min, covered, on setting 3;
- Remove lid and allow cake to cool uncovered for 8-10 min.
- Cover pan with plate and flip to remove the cake from the pan. Ice the cake with desired icing (recipe below)
- 3 cups powder sugar
- 1/3 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1 ½ tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2-4 Tbsp. whole milk (room temp.)
- Combine powder sugar and butter.
- One teaspoon at a time, add milk to the mix until desired consistency is reached.
- Once the consistency is where you want it, stir in the vanilla extract to fully incorporate.