One of the things I like most about Fall is warm apple cider and apple cider donuts. So, on my way into Mrs. G this week, I could not resist stopping at Terhune Orchards to pick up some fresh made Apple Cider donuts for the staff (and myself of course).
Everyone at the store enjoyed the donuts so much that I decided to try my own version of the famed apple cider donuts (although we know that nothing can replace the local originals).
I went with a slightly healthier version, using ½ whole wheat flour and ½ all-purpose white flour. I then baked the donuts instead of frying them.
These donuts are so quick and easy. I had my daughter (the Appliance Chef Jr.) help me make up the batter just before sitting down to dinner. Just as we were finishing up our Beef and Butternut Squash Stew, I quickly filled the donut pans and baked the donuts.
10 minutes later, the table was cleared and we enjoyed warm some warm apple cider donuts for dessert.
Keep an eye out for next week’s blog with some of my favorite homemade Halloween treats and tips!
- • 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- • ½ cup sugar
- • 2 tsp. aluminum -free baking powder
- • 1 tsp. sea salt
- • ½ tsp. cinnamon
- • pinch of nutmeg
- • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- • 1/2 cup apple cider
- • ¼ cup milk
- • 3 tbsp. honey
- • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- • 4 tbsp. butter, melted
- • ½ cup superfine sugar
- • ¼ cup brown sugar
- • 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- • 1/3 cup apple cider
- • 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- 2. To make the donuts, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl. Add cider, milk, honey, eggs, vanilla and melted butter. Mix until well blended.
- 3. Fill each donut cup about ¾ full (I use a pastry bag with the end snipped to do it neatly.) Bake for 10 minutes until donuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
- 4. To make the cinnamon-sugar topping, mix together sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl until well combined. Brush each donut with melted butter and apple cider mixture, then toss in cinnamon-sugar mixture until evenly coated.