The Community Kitchen at the new Mrs. G showroom is live. With only two weeks until the grand opening (October 10th), it was time to get up-close and personal with those 21st Century appliances that line the kitchen walls.
I’ve been living in kitchens for over 20 years, but this is new and exciting for me. All those super-smart appliances that cook perfect food with the touch of the button is something you only see in movies… until now.
I told someone recently that one could practically cook with his or her smartphone. His response was “so, two generations from now people will say ‘my grandma used to make great food on her iPhone?’”
If a smart phone gets more people to cook and eat fresh food, maybe it’s not so bad.
But anyways, I decided to cook through some of the brands’ cookbooks, Julie and Julia-style. My first recipe was ratatouille with meatballs in the Jenn-Air 24-Inch Steam and Convection Wall Oven (JBS7524BS ).
Usually, I roast each vegetable with fresh herbs and lots of olive oil, and then combine them to a ratatouille. I was curious how it tastes steamed.
The recipe instructed me to mix everything with ketchup. And that was where I put my foot down. Steamed ketchup??
Instead, I seasoned the vegetables with a little olive oil. I only ketchuped the meatballs (with locally-made First Field) at the bottom to avoid that gray look. Then I steamed for 18 minutes.
The result was light, vibrant and bursting with flavor. I finished it with a splash of good olive oil and some chopped basil. I served it over brown rice pasta.
Here’s a bonus: The vegetables and meatballs cooked over a drip pan. The juice that accumulated there made the most intense and delicious vegetables consomme. Serve it as a first course before the ratatouille and savor the End of summer.
- • 1/2 lb minced pork or beef
- • 1/2 tablespoon BIg Green Egg Seasoning (option)
- • Salt and pepper
- • 1 red pepper
- • 1 yellow pepper
- • 2 summer squashes
- • 3 ripe summer tomatoes
- • 1 red onion
- • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- • Salt and pepper
- • 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- • Olive oil and balsamic to
- • Fresh basil, chopped
- 1. Combine the meat with the Green Egg seasoning, salt, and pepper. Frm into small meatballs.
- 2. Finely chop the peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, onion and garlic. Mix with the olive oil and some salt and pepper.
- 3. Arrange the meatballs in a steam tray and mix with ketchup.
- 4. Scatter the vegetables on top.
- 5. Steam for 16–18 minutes at 212 F. Until tender.
- 6. Drizzle some good quality olive oil and balsamic. Scatter the basil on top.
- 7. Serve with pasta that you can cook in the steam oven at the same time.