One of the latest trends in drinks is creating an infusion of fruit and herbs. I picked up some strawberries and basil from Shady Brook Farm in Yardley to make a Strawberry Basil Lemonade to accompany an assortment of grilled hot dogs that we served over the Memorial Day weekend. This is a non-alcoholic version, but you can easily convert it to a cocktail with some gin or vodka.
Looks so good right? Grab the recipe below!
**And don’t miss Shady Brook Farm’s Strawberry Fun Days in June! Load up on fresh berries and enjoy kid-friendly fun. Visit their website for details.
- • 2 cups fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- • 4 ½ cups water, divided
- • 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- • 1 lb fresh strawberries
- • 1 cup fresh basil leaves, plus an additional 4-5 leaves divided
- • 2 cups of water
- • 2 cups vodka, rum, or prosecco, optional (if leaving unspiked, add 2 more cups of water)
- 1. Add sugar, 1 ½ cups water, strawberries and basil to a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes. Take off the heat and allow the mixture to set for 30 minutes.
- 2. Add the mixture to a blender and pulse until smooth.
- 3. Add the lemon juice, water, sugar mixture, and vodka (if using) to a large pitcher. Stir to combine. Pour over ice. Add 4-5 additional fresh basil leaves for flavor and garnish.