Do you want to enjoy your water with a pop of color and a hint of flavor (but no calories)? Make ice cubes stuffed with fresh fruits, vegetables, herbs, and flowers.
The technique is very simple make-ahead, and the key to success is using boiled, filtered water. The rest is up to you.
1. Bring 3 cups filtered water to a boil. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for 4-5 hours covered with plastic wrap.
2. Arrange your garnishes in each compartment of a large ice cube tray. Pour enough water to fill each compartment. Freeze trays 5 to 6 hours or until completely frozen.
3. Remove trays from the freezer, and allow to sit at room temperature 3 to 4 minutes to allow frost to melt. Add the ice to water or other summer drinks
Here are some favorite flavor combinations (pin the image below for later!):
- Strawberry slices and basil
- Tiny cubes of watermelon and cantaloupes with lime curls
- Fresh thyme sprigs with lavender flowers (available at good spice stores)
- Blueberries with orange zest curls
- Nostrum flowers
- Cucumber slices and mint
- Dried rose petals (available at good spice shops)
- Some herbal tea blends sold in bulk at artisanal tea stores are pretty spectacular in ice.
Let your creativity soar and remember, beauty has no calories.