We’re pleased to welcome Vance Slocum to the Mrs. G team. He will serve a dual role as our Executive Chef and Customer Relations Coordinator. Last weekend, Vance showcased his culinary skills by preparing easy gourmet grilled cheeses with his secret ingredient: Sweet Tea Carmelized Onions! Since it was a beautiful August day, Vance took his prep outside and used our EVO grill to make the sandwiches. Vance prepared two variations of grilled cheese:
- - Sourdough bread, Monterey Jack cheese, sweet tea caramelized onions, grilled chicken, roasted red peppers
- - Rye, Swiss, sweet tea caramelized onions, spinach, roasted red peppers, grilled portobello mushrooms
You can really do any combo you like, but if you want to get people talking, don’t forget the onions! Continue below to learn how to make them.
Sweet Tea Carmelized Onions
- -½ TBSP Oil (choice)
- -3 LG Yellow Onions - Sliced thin (Julienne)
- -Salt - To taste
- -Black Pepper - To taste
- -Approx ¾ cup - 1 cup of Sweet Tea (Tradewinds)
- 1. Heat Oil in saute pan
- 2. Add onions to the pan
- 3. Cook on Medium High heat. Stir occasionally (Do not be scared of dark brown caramelization on onions)
- 4. Lower heat to Medium Low and let cook until moisture is almost gone
- 5. Add sweet tea let summer until 80% of the moisture is evaporated approximately 30-40 min stirring occasionally (do not let burn)
- 6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.